Q. How do I search the library database of materials to place a hold?
We have several options for placing an online hold. You can use the Westchester Library system link or search for books from multiple locations on the Greenburgh Public Library website using the green search box (upper left position on the home page). From the GPL website, the default search setting is to search the Library Catalog (use when searching for library materials). Enter part of the book title (or leave blank) and click on the search button to bring up the WLS search page.
- If you've entered a search term, the WLS page will display the search results. If not, you can search here by entering keyword, title, author, subject, etc (using drop down field to select the search parameter) or do an advanced search.
- To filter results for a particular format, ie. book, dvd, etc., select from then next drop down menu.
- Choose library to search or leave library drop down menu to the default "Westchester Library System" in order to find copies at all WLS libraries (since we are now fulfilling holds throughout WLS, this gets you the materials most quickly).
- Click the Place Hold button next to the item title or you may click on the title of one of the results to see details about the locations and availability at various libraries, then click Place Hold.
- Enter your library card number and PIN (default is the last 4 digits of phone number on file) to log into your account.
- Select options for pick-up location (use Greenburgh Public Library if you want to pick-up here) and receiving notifications about hold availability (email and/or text message to cell phone are the fastest).
- Click Submit. Your hold will now appear in the upper right menu under Holds.
Once notified that your hold is available, you can use our curbside pickup procedures to obtain your materials.
Watch these short videos for help on accessing your Library account: https://greenburghlibrary.org/curbside_pickup/HowToCatalog.
If you need further assistance, please feel free to reach out via live chat from 10am - 1pm and 2 - 4pm, Monday through Saturday. (or after hours via electronic message, providing your name and contact information along with information about the item you want.)
You may also call us Monday - Saturday from 10am - 4:30pm at 914-721-8225 for adult items, or 914-721-8227 for children's and young adult items.